with Charters

Our Landlord zone

Charters Estate Agents, with our network of offices, has combined operations with Knights Porter, one of the leading letting agencies in Southampton, bringing together two of the region’s well-renowned estate agencies. This ensures the ongoing provision of excellent property lettings service for clients across Southampton and surrounding areas working alongside the existing Knights Porter team and clients.

If you have a Property Management query please call 02380 631940 for our Southampton office property management team or 02382 358577 for all other areas.

If you would like to speak to Lettings Account team, please call 02382 358579.

If you are looking for a property to rent, please click here.


At Charters we understand the importance of offering our landlords the peace of mind in knowing that their property is in safe hands.

Our clients are as varied as our properties ranging from accidental private landlords with just one small rental property to investment landlords juggling a complex portfolio. We appreciate that every client will have their own unique requirements and we can tailor our service to suit these needs.

Our tailor-made solutions include a range of incremental service levels to suit your needs and budgets and our team will discuss your requirements with you in detail to ensure that we can provide the exact level of support that you have a need for. Be aware of the potential minefield of laws and regulations surrounding the rental industry and remember the old adage: ‘you get what you pay for’. Our fee schedule is designed to be open and transparent with no hidden charges and is shown with VAT included to help avoid any unpleasant surprises.

As an ARLA licensed agent, we offer full client money protection and are registered with The Tenancy Deposit Scheme. We have a wealth of lettings experience and an in depth understanding of the ever-changing regulations. Our up-to-date database ensures we are able to match qualified tenants with suitable properties quickly.

Our experienced teams have an extensive knowledge of the local markets and can offer commercially astute investment advice whilst our proactive property management team can look after your property without you needing to worry. We deliver high occupancy rates with total peace of mind.

We offer an in house accounts and credit control department located in Chandlers Ford which uses state of the art accounting and reporting systems managing all our clients’ monies, thus ensuring rents are collected and landlords are paid, whilst producing detailed rent statements.

Offering services such as void property management, pre-tenancy preparations, stringent inspections and rent reviews, our dedicated Property Management Teams are based at our Head Office in Chandlers Ford and at our Southampton office. Knowing that Charters can offer all of this, and more, you can be confident that your investment will stay safe and secure in our care.


To find out more about Charters Lettings Regulations, click here.

Click here to view Charters Landlords Terms of Business.

Click here to view Charters Propertymark Client Money Protection Membership Certificate.

Click here to view Propertymark Conduct and Membership Rules.


Keeping you

up to date...


At the start of July 2020 , the rules changed in England, introducing new standards of electrical safety as well as legal requirements on the service of documents to relevant people.

What are my responsibilities as the landlord of a property?

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 places a continuous duty on landlords in England to maintain their property to the electrical safety standards and to have evidence of this. This means your property must meet the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and you must have a report that shows this from a qualified person.

When do I need to have an inspection performed by?

If you are renting out a property in England and the tenancy was entered into on or after the regulations came into force (1 June 2020), then from 1 July 2020 you will be required to have an electrical inspection and a report on the condition of the property (EICR) performed by a qualified person prior to tenancy commencement.

All tenancies that started pre the 1st July 2020 also now require a satisfactory report in place. In the event that the report comes back unsatisfactory you have 28 days to undertake all necessary work.

If you have a lodger or you are letting out the property on a long lease (7 years or more) you are not required to have an EICR performed.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact the Lettings Property Management team



Clear thinking

Charters pride themselves on their transparent fee structure and all prices quoted are inclusive of VAT so there should be no nasty surprises.

Our fees vary depending on the level of service you choose and our managers will be very pleased to discuss these with you in detail to ensure that you receive the level of service you require at the price you expect. Click here to see our Landlord Fees

We are legally obliged to file a tax return stating the name and addresses of our clients with HMRC. If you intend to be an Overseas Landlord at any point during the Tenancy we will be required to deduct 20% tax at source and forward it directly to HMRC unless we have received consent to pay you in full.

If you wish to claim exemption you will need to complete forms NRL1 or NRL2 and send the application form to; – The Centre for Non- Residents (CNR), St Johns Househttps://www.chartersfinancialservices.co.uk/, Merton Road, Bootle, Merseyside, L69 9BB quoting Charters Reference Number NA006026.

For more information go to the government site or call the Centre for Non- Residents on 0151 472 6208 / 6209. With the ongoing changes to taxation on rental properties we always advise that you seek independent financial advice to discuss what costs can be offset against your rental income.



Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard Regulations

In 2018, new legislation was introduced to improve the energy-efficiency of private rented property in the UK.

The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard Regulations (MEES) state that all private rented property must achieve an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) grade of E or higher. Any landlords renting a property rated F or G (the lowest grade) could face a penalty of up to £4,000.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate? Any home that is rented, bought or sold in the UK needs an EPC. This shows how energy-efficient the property is and offers some advice for what could be done to improve its energy efficiency, as well as the likely costs and savings for any work carried out. Once issued, the EPC is valid for ten years, after which time it should be renewed.

Key areas of focus for EPC assessors are:

  • How well insulated the loft, flooring and walls are?
  • Whether windows are single, double or triple-glazed
  • How energy-efficient the boiler, plumbing and radiators are
  • When the property was built and the structure and materials used
  • Whether any electrical heat sources (such as plug-in radiators or fan heaters) are being used
  • Whether modern, energy efficient lightbulbs are installed
  • The general air-tightness of the home

All of this data will be gathered and entered into a system which will calculate the overall grade for your property. As mentioned earlier, landlords who rent properties which don’t meet the minimum requirements run the risk of receiving a financial penalty of up to £4,000. Call us on 02382 358577 if you require further information.

Section 21


Understanding the changes

The deregulation Act 2015 introduced some important changes to how and when a landlord can serve notice to regain possession of his property.

The original changes affected all tenancies that started after the 1st October 2015 but as of the 1st October 2018 the rule changed for all tenancies.

This now means that a landlord can not serve notice in the first four months of a tenancy and they must also have fulfilled some compulsory requirements. They will be unable to serve notice if they have not provided the tenant with: –

  • A copy of their gas safety certificate.
  • A copy of the government prepared How To Rent Guide.
  • A copy of the properties EPC.
  • A copy of the prescribed information relating to the protection of the tenants deposit.

Further more they will be unable to serve notice if the property is not licensed and should have been and if there are outstanding maintenance issues.

section 21 changes
What else

is of interest to you?

Legal and

financial aspects

Mortgages and


Testimonials and






Meet the